Prescription Ordering Direct Service (POD)
POD Service during COVID-19
There are currently 11 surgeries in Great Yarmouth and 2 in West Norfolk using the POD service. The full list is below. If your surgery is not on the list please do not contact the POD Team.
Dated 1 April 2020
This service is currently experiencing high call volumes due to COVID-19, which is resulting in longer waiting times.
We have been taking urgent action to recruit and train additional staff to support this service. Please help us by following the advice below:
- If you have more than a week’s supply at home, then please only call us when you have 7 days of medicines left. Our call handlers won’t be able to issue medicines that are not due to be ordered.
- It is really important that medicines are not over ordered in this challenging time. Over ordering medicines will negatively impact on the medicines supply chain and in some cases result in stock shortages.
Only ordering your medicines when they are due will help maintain medicine stocks for all patients, this is in line with current national guidance.
Thank you for your patience.
The Prescription Ordering Direct (POD) service enables patients to order their repeat prescription over the phone via trained call handlers operating to standard operating procedures. Once the patient has given their consent, the call handler can electronically access the patient's clinical record and process the prescription request in the usual way.
The electronic prescription will be sent through to the GP for signing and then on to the patients nominated pharmacy to be dispensed in the usual way. Any issues that are identified can be tasked directly to the relevant practice member of staff for resolution.
There are currently 11 practices using the POD service in the Great Yarmouth and Waveney area and two in West Norfolk, with more expected to go live this year.
Great Yarmouth and Waveney - Tel 01502 718615
West Norfolk - Tel 01553 605728
If these phone lines are busy you can request a call back through these online forms:
If you have feedback about the POD you can give it here.
To view Easy Read versions of the above documents click on the links below:
You can view the surgeries currently 'Live' with the POD service by clicking on the boxes below:
Great Yarmouth and Waveney
- Bungay Medical Practice
- High Street Surgery
- The Beaches (formerly Central Surgery and Gorleston Medical Centre)
- Kirkley Mill Surgery
- The Park Surgery
- The Millwood Partnership
- East Norfolk Medical Practice
- The Nelson Medical Practice
- Bridge Road Surgery
- Solebay Surgery
- Alexander Road and Crestview Surgeries
No surgeries are currently 'Live' with the POD service in North Norfolk
No surgeries are currently 'Live' with the POD service in South Norfolk
- St James Surgery
- South Gates and The Woottons
No surgeries are currently 'Live' with the POD service in Norwich